In 1848, The Methodists from Blackberry township built a small church on the present church property. Previously settlers were meeting in a log school house in Lone Grove nearby. The building was constructed of grout and boasted a balcony. Through the years, the building became too small for the growing congregation. It was torn down and the present building was erected in 1875 for a total cost of $4,297.10.
On May 1, 1904 the Baptist Church was consolidated with the Methodist Church. the plain frosted windows were replaced with the colorful memorial windows.
The old parsonage, built in 1887 by Rev. Schoonmaker, burned in September 1920. The present parsonage was completed in 1921.
In 1958, the church trustees decided the time had come to build an educational wing and a modern kitchen. The addition totaled around $70,000 and was dedicated in 1964.
In November of 1975, the 100th anniversary of the present church building was celebrated with a pageant, special displays and activities. Especially noteworthy was the outdoor worship center was added to be used on alternate Sundays during the summer.
As a congregation, we look forward to celebrating 175 years of ministry and 150 years in our present building with a big anniversary year in 2023! With new and old members, dedicated leaders and teachers, our history continues to be written for many years to come.
Kaneville is truly blessed!